WHAT IS SAFFRON?
Saffron is a kind of seasoning and considered herb which is known as a golden spice in many countries. This precious seasoning is derived from the dried stigmas which have been taken out of a purple flower called Crocus sativus. Saffron has long been used differently as a flavouring, natural colouring agent in cooking and confectionary as well as traditional herb.
HOW TO USE SAFFRON?
1- SAFFRON TEA
- Bring the water to boil.
- Place few strands of saffron in cup/teapot (3-5Pcs of saffron for normal cup).
- Pour the boiling water over.
- Wait for 5-7 minutes for the saffron to brew then it is ready to drink.
- You can add, black tea/green tea, sugar, honey, fresh mint, cinnamon, ginger, milk … base on your taste.
- You can refill the hot water as long as the saffron strands are still red.
- It is fine to swallow the saffron strands while drinking tea.
- After your tea is ready, you may can drink it hot/cold.
2- SAFFRON FOR COOKING AND BAKING
To make the most of saffron in different receipts, it’s better to extract its flavour and colour.
- Grind the saffron to become powder. Since saffron strands are very tiny you may can add a pinch of sugar which acts as an abrasive, to reduce the saffron into a fine powder.
- Dissolve it in couple of tablespoons of hot water, which the colour will change to sunset hue.
- Wait for 10 minutes for saffron to brew and your saffron extract is ready to add to a dish at any stage.